Should Students Be Able to Grade Their Teachers?

Laurel Correa, Student Opinion Writer

At this time, states around the country are trying to accurately assess how teachers are performing within their classrooms. Primarily, standardized testing is being used to take scores and observations by the administrators. However, shouldn’t students be included in the assessment? After all, they are the ones who spend the most time with their teachers.

After the simple question, “Should students be able to grade their teachers?” was offered to a group of students at Seward High School, an outstanding amount thought it wasn’t a good idea. However, their reasoning, which they could all agree on, claimed that too many students have personal issues with their teachers, which could easily give inaccurate scores due to not being fair or grading honestly. This, in turn, doesn’t apply to the teacher’s overall ability.

To continue, other students had their own opinions on the matter. They all could agree, basically, students should be able to grade their teachers because “we as students should be entitled to our opinion about our teachers as long as it is respectful, of course.” Furthermore, the administration should use this as a form of seeing which teachers are doing their job correctly.

In addition, a handful of students were also given the following questions: Do your teachers ever ask the students to give feedback on their teaching or classes? Would you want your school to ask for your opinion?

Angel Schwertfeger replied, “Yes, a few of our teachers give out questionaires to the students at the very end of the class for the semester.” Other students also included that by doing this teachers could discover who is struggling with a subject and might need more one-on-one assistance, or realize if their method of teaching is working. Along with this, all students agreed they wish more teachers would do this because “just like the students, teachers are learning better and new things all the time.”

Source:

https://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/should-students-be-able-to-grade-their-teachers-2/