20% Say Leave. What do you say?

Back to Article
Back to Article

20% Say Leave. What do you say?

laurel correa, students opinion writer

During the month of April 2019, a new poll was released from the GALLUP news site revealing a “dangerously close to a full-blown demographic crisis, with Russia’s population declining for the first time in a decade in 2018.” This being a new high of 20% now saying that they would leave Russia if they could.

Although young people are more likely to want to migrate do to being the most mobile within a population, the 44% of the youngest Russians who want to move is the highest percentage within the past 10 years. Along with this, the people seem to have a valid reason for their wants to leave the country.

“The fingers are pointing to Putin,” according to GALLUP’s article, Record of 20% of Russia’s say they would like to leave Russia. Their reason being if the demographic losses turn Russia into the “empty space” that President Vladimir Putin warned of during his 2012 campaign, “he may be at least partly to blame.” Gallup’s analysis showed that after looking at the population and income, Putin’s job approval has had a large effect on Russia’s strong desire to migrate.

To continue, with so many Russians desiring to leave their country, GALLUP’s last question  within the poll showed exactly where it is they would like to go if they leave. The answer, often containing a country within the European Union.

Furthermore, GALLUP continues to record and make graphs through various survey/polls on the people’s thoughts about migrating their country.

This leading to Seward High School’s own miniature survey, containing the questions: “Do you want to leave Alaska? If so, why do you want to leave? And where would you go?”

A sophomore, Angel Schwertfeger, responded with an almost immediate answer. “Yes, I want to leave,” she explained. “I think there’s so many different opportunities in the lower 48 than here in Alaska plus stuffs less expensive.” Angel also claimed that although knows she wants to leave, she does not know “specifically” where she would go.

Another student, freshman Daniel Correa claimed, “I made up my mind long ago.” He laughed before continuing with “I do want to leave Alaska… and I’ll be leaving for sweet home Alabama because that’s where the rednecks flow like water.” Although he made a joke of the question, he did add, “I really would go to Alabama if I could.”

Additionally, we can see that there are a number of students that want to leave and possibly many more within the country, not just our state.

On top of this, in 2016, our “State’s department’s consular section estimated that there are 9 million non-military U.S. citizens living abroad, an increase from the 4 million estimated in 1999.” However, these numbers are often disputed as being underestimated. And will more than likely continue to increase as the years go on.

Sources:

https://news.gallup.com/poll/248249/record-russians-say-leave-russia.aspx

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emigration_from_the_United_States#Statistics

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-politics-emigration/almost-half-of-young-russians-want-to-emigrate-gallup-poll-says-idUSKCN1RG1ZZ