Register for KPC Spring Semester

Kylie Mullaly, Staff Writer

As the next semester quickly approaches, it is important to put together a plan. Particularly juniors and seniors need to make sure they are on the right path to receive all their credits by graduation. Fortunately, Kenai Peninsula College offers dual enrollment courses where students can receive both high school and college credit for classes. Each 100-level, 3-credit, semester college class counts as a full year of high school credit. These classes allow students to become familiar with college-level classes, teachers, and subject matter without having to commit to becoming a full-time student.

To take classes this spring semester, which will begin January 11th, SHS students can start enrolling on November 23rd. By using the JumpStart program, juniors and seniors only pay for a third of the tuition cost for up to six credits. Additional information on how to get started with the Jumpstart program can be found here. If the cost makes these courses inaccessible, the Seward PTA does offer a scholarship. Additionally, students can enter into a drawing by December 4th for a three-credit tuition waiver. For details on either of these opportunities, reach out to Jackie Marshall.

To get started, or at the very least get more information, Seward students should contact Jackie Marshall by phone at 907-262-0285. Classes fill up fast and it takes some time for new students to get everything set up. With winter break starting December 24th and ending January 3rd, there is even less time to get enrolled. The sooner students get in contact, the better. Incoming students may find this overview helpful.

Students can choose both courses across the state or classes offered here in Seward. For those interested in a local course, a few classes are being taught here at the Resurrection Bay Extension Site. This includes Intro to Logic, Intro to College Writing, Intro to American Government, Intro to Literature, and Writing & the Humanities. To learn more or check out other available courses, visit this page.

I have taken a couple of the courses offered through KPC and JumpStart and have thoroughly enjoyed the in-depth discussions and atmosphere of a college class. I feel more prepared for graduation and moving on to the next step in my education. For my last semester at SHS, I will certainly be taking advantage of this opportunity and squeezing in a few more classes. I hope some of you will join me!