SHS Music: A Blast From the Past

Creeanna Whitcome, Staff Editor

The Seward School newspaper was first published in the 1920s under the alias Seward’s Folly. To show the education community what our school used to celebrate and enjoy, SHS Today will be publishing old articles in the new column “Blast From the Past.”  This week’s article is called the Spring Concert published in the 1946 May issue:

“…First came two vocal solos, one an old favorite of many, ‘The Bells of St. Mary,’ and the other a theme from Beethoven — ‘Moon Love.’ Both were sung by Paul McMullen, whose clear tenor voice brought comment from many.

At this time there was a pause in the concert, during which Misa Dahlberg was given a lovely pink camellia corsage by the Music Department and presented by Paul.

A change in Atmosphere of the program was brought by Sanna Urie with a song and dance: ‘Pistol Packing Mamma’….”

The article highlights the music society in Seward High in 1946. The differences in music genres are obvious while the other variances such as contradictions in style and structure are more unnoticeable. The program was well-funded, as proved by the ability for the program to include band songs as well as a choir aspect. The program also emphasizes organizations in the community which suggests that it was well-rounded and supported by the town.

Our music program in 2016-17 is based on the volunteer time of community members verses provided as a class with a school sponsored teacher. Unfortunately, we neither have a (school sponsored) band nor a choir, but we do incorporate instruments in the volunteer program. 70 years later, this program is called Music Collective.