SHS Today

• Track in Kenai, April 28th

• Boys soccer vs. Nikiski, April 28th

• Girls soccer vs. Nikiski, April 28th

• Girls soccer vs. Voz, April 27th

• Last chance to take the SATs is June 2nd! Sign up deadline is May 2nd.

• Meeting in Hinders during lunch on Wednesday for those running for student council.

• Student Council elections are on Monday!

Seahawk Basketball Hosts Houston and Redington

Elena Hamner, Staff Editor

Excitement was in the air the afternoon of Thursday, January 14th, and not because it was the eve of Friday the 13th and the infamous spookiness that is attached to the specific date, but because of the two days of basketball games held at Seward High School. The Thursday games began with the jump ball between Seward’s boys junior varsity team and Redington’s. It was an intense game. Both crowds ferociously routed for their beloved home teams; however, after 32 minutes, the game ended in Seward’s favor. The cheerful end to the first game led a hopeful transition into the girls varsity game.

As everyone settled in for another game, Seahawk fans hoped for the same outcome, but the Huskies desired a different one. This game, though just as much fun, saw the intensity rise as the girls varsity teams started to show their colors.  After another 32 minutes of playing, the game ceased with a score of 26-Seward, 13-Redington. The aroma of success wafted through our gymnasium and led us into the third and final game of the night: the boys varsity game. As the referee tossed the ball into the air and blew the whistle, the sudden rush of the players indicated the start of the first quarter. Minutes flew by, along with the ball, and the players chasing anxiously after it. By the end of the third quarter, the Seahawks had secured the win. The fourth quarter came to an end with a final score of 65-Seward, 21-Redington — a massive win awarded to massive efforts.

Saturday rolled around and another fun-filled day with the rivaling teams of Seward vs. Houston, beginning with the J.V teams at 10:30 a.m. Game after game was played. Girls J.V led the way with a strong effort of 15-Seward, 23-Houston, followed by a close game between the boys J.V teams with the score of 38-Seward, 31-Houston — a well fought victory. These two games, played very well, set the stage for the varsity teams. Before the changeover from junior varsity to varsity, the national anthem was stunningly delivered by Lori Allen.

The girls varsity game was indeed one to watch. With help from both Seward and Houston cheerleaders, the crowds cheered so loudly people could barely hear their own thoughts. The game came to an end with a score of 32-Seward, 34-Houston, leading into the final game of an intense and exciting two days. New faces, new cheers, new strategies were brought to the court during the boys varsity game. Back and forth went the ball, the fouls, the players, and the points until the concluding seconds that held the final score of 59-Seward, 70-Houston.

Although the scoreboard didn’t always show what Seward expected, the games against Redington and Houston proved we have the effort; we have the commitment; and we have the talent. This combination forecasts a promising season for the Seahawks.  Now, we look forward to the Seahawk Classic, February 2-4.  If the Seahawks can post some winning scores during that tournament, we will be green and… golden.

1 Comment

One Response to “Seahawk Basketball Hosts Houston and Redington”

1. Nathaniel Basalo on February 20th, 2017 1:50 pm

It’s really fun to watch the Seward varsity boys and the Redington Varsity boys playing. I was playing with the JV that time so its fun to play and watch them. They have a good team and players but Seward is good too. The girl games was pretty fun against Redington and Houston.
    GO SEWARD SEAHAWKS GO!!!!!1

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Seahawk Basketball Hosts Houston and Redington

Basketball

Seahawk Hoops Update

Basketball

Basketball Season Final Report

What's New

Petrosius Signs with Chadron State

What's New

A Night at the Oscars

Student Life

Senior Spotlight: Emmalee Moore

Student Spotlight

Senior Spotlight: Blaze Havnen

• Video

Oscars Video

What's New

Classroom Meets Real World

What's New

Native Youth Olympics: Featuring Seward High

What's New

A Trip to the Sea Life Center

The Student News Site of Seward High School