• Winter formal is on it's way! Jan. 3rd 8pm in the cafeteria

• All basketball teams are playing Grace on Friday. Good luck Seahawks!

• Skiing will be at Government Peak this weekend. Go Seahawks!

• Need your schedule changed? See Martha during the period you need changed!

• Online registration for KPC classes closes soon! See Jackie Marshall for assistance.

• Sources of Strength will meet in the Music Room from 11:50AM-12:50PM on Wednesday.

• The application for the 2018 Sister Exchange program is now open for those interested in traveling to Obihiro Japan!

Seahawk Basketball Hosts Houston and Redington

Elena Hamner, Staff Editor

Excitement was in the air the afternoon of Thursday, January 14th, and not because it was the eve of Friday the 13th and the infamous spookiness that is attached to the specific date, but because of the two days of basketball games held at Seward High School. The Thursday games began with the jump ball between Seward’s boys junior varsity team and Redington’s. It was an intense game. Both crowds ferociously routed for their beloved home teams; however, after 32 minutes, the game ended in Seward’s favor. The cheerful end to the first game led a hopeful transition into the girls varsity game.

As everyone settled in for another game, Seahawk fans hoped for the same outcome, but the Huskies desired a different one. This game, though just as much fun, saw the intensity rise as the girls varsity teams started to show their colors.  After another 32 minutes of playing, the game ceased with a score of 26-Seward, 13-Redington. The aroma of success wafted through our gymnasium and led us into the third and final game of the night: the boys varsity game. As the referee tossed the ball into the air and blew the whistle, the sudden rush of the players indicated the start of the first quarter. Minutes flew by, along with the ball, and the players chasing anxiously after it. By the end of the third quarter, the Seahawks had secured the win. The fourth quarter came to an end with a final score of 65-Seward, 21-Redington — a massive win awarded to massive efforts.

Saturday rolled around and another fun-filled day with the rivaling teams of Seward vs. Houston, beginning with the J.V teams at 10:30 a.m. Game after game was played. Girls J.V led the way with a strong effort of 15-Seward, 23-Houston, followed by a close game between the boys J.V teams with the score of 38-Seward, 31-Houston — a well fought victory. These two games, played very well, set the stage for the varsity teams. Before the changeover from junior varsity to varsity, the national anthem was stunningly delivered by Lori Allen.

The girls varsity game was indeed one to watch. With help from both Seward and Houston cheerleaders, the crowds cheered so loudly people could barely hear their own thoughts. The game came to an end with a score of 32-Seward, 34-Houston, leading into the final game of an intense and exciting two days. New faces, new cheers, new strategies were brought to the court during the boys varsity game. Back and forth went the ball, the fouls, the players, and the points until the concluding seconds that held the final score of 59-Seward, 70-Houston.

Although the scoreboard didn’t always show what Seward expected, the games against Redington and Houston proved we have the effort; we have the commitment; and we have the talent. This combination forecasts a promising season for the Seahawks.  Now, we look forward to the Seahawk Classic, February 2-4.  If the Seahawks can post some winning scores during that tournament, we will be green and… golden.

1 Comment

One Response to “Seahawk Basketball Hosts Houston and Redington”

1. Nathaniel Basalo on February 20th, 2017 1:50 pm

It’s really fun to watch the Seward varsity boys and the Redington Varsity boys playing. I was playing with the JV that time so its fun to play and watch them. They have a good team and players but Seward is good too. The girl games was pretty fun against Redington and Houston.
    GO SEWARD SEAHAWKS GO!!!!!1

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Seahawk Basketball Hosts Houston and Redington

Basketball

Basketball Season Final Report

Student Spotlight

Student Spotlight: Brendan McMurray

Swimming

Swim Highlights: 2 Seniors and 1 State Qualifier

What's New

Hydaburg Chronicles: Part 2

What's New

Hydaburg Chronicles: Part 1

Student Life

The Empty Stage

Volleyball

Volleyball: A Great Season Concludes

Wrestling

Wrestling: Taking Down the Competition

What's New

Take It From Us

In Comparison

In Comparison: What Cassidy Fletcher Thinks