Principal to Take Plunge

Megan Koster, Staff Editor

On January 28, 2017, Trevan Walker, principal of Seward High School, is going to plunge into the freezing cold bay of Seward, Alaska. He is participating in the annual Polar Bear Jump, and all the donations are going towards the American Cancer Society.

A reason why Mr. Walker is going to take the plunge is because last year KPBSD Superintendent Sean Dusek challenged him after he jumped into the bay.  Mr. Walker was part of his support team that helped Mr. Dusek warm up after he jumped. When the Superintendent asked Mr. Walker if he had ever done the plunge, Mr. Walker said that he hadn’t, but would jump this year.

Another reason why he will jump is in honor of his mother who recently completed treatment for Breast Cancer. Her cancer is in full remission, and Mr. Walker is very grateful for the quality of care she received.  He knows that her treatment was greatly influenced by the support of the American Cancer Society and sees this as an opportunity to give a little something back of what his mom received.  Mr. Walker was planning to jump this year already. Superintendent Dusek provided the extra incentive that Mr. Walker needed to take the plunge.

Seward High School’s National Honors Society (NHS) is helping Mr. Walker fundraise for the Polar Bear Jump, and its goal is to raise $1,000. NHS has been helping with movies at the Rae Building and organizing bake sales, with hopes of reaching the goal by next week. If anyone is interested in donating, contact the NHS advisor at the high school, Martha Fleming, by calling 224-9070 or emailing mfleming@kpbsd.org.