SHS Today

• Track in Kenai, April 28th

• Boys soccer vs. Nikiski, April 28th

• Girls soccer vs. Nikiski, April 28th

• Girls soccer vs. Voz, April 27th

• Last chance to take the SATs is June 2nd! Sign up deadline is May 2nd.

• Meeting in Hinders during lunch on Wednesday for those running for student council.

• Student Council elections are on Monday!

Basketball Season Final Report

Kendyl Morris, Staff Editor

All good things must come to an end, including our exciting basketball season. On March 9th, the basketball team and their cheerleaders went to Nikiski for the regions tournament. The girls came out on top the first day, defeating the Houston Hawks. The boys fought hard against the Homer Mariners, but it wasn’t quite enough. The girls played again on Friday against Anchorage Christian School. It was a tough battle, considering ACS is a formidable competitor. The girls and boys both ended up in the back side semifinals. The girls played first in the morning of Saturday against the Homer Mariners, followed by the boys against the Houston Hawks. The girls moved onto the finals against the Nikiski Bulldogs. At the end of it all, the lady Seahawks were titled fourth place.

At the end of the night on Saturday, awards were given to the players and coaches. Cheerleaders were the first to be called up, granting Makayla Dumars with Sportsmanship. Next came All Conference Cheerleader, which is determined by all the cheer coaches. Kendyl Morris, Kimberly Hubbard, and Grace Dumars were awarded this year for all the hard work and dedication they put in. However, the team wouldn’t be what it is today without the help of their wonderful coach, Haley Hatch, who was named Coach of the Year.

The awards for basketball followed shortly after cheerleading. The Sportsmanship awards were given to Coral Petrosius and Hunter Kratz. Rhett Sieverts and Nik Pahno were awarded with Second Team. After Second Team, the announcers called up Sully Hauze, Ayla Lapinskas, and Ashley Jackson for First Team.

For senior Sully Hauze, the season faced some challenges with a broken thumb and sprained ankle, but he said, “Whenever you have a setback, don’t look down on yourself; keep working hard.” Hauze reflected on his four years playing basketball at SHS, and remembered not getting “a lot of varsity minutes” his freshman year, but “[he] still worked hard.”  Kids “willing to put in the effort to play” can get the results.  This is valuable advice for all athletes, especially C team and JV players.  

Each basketball player from all teams showed a great amount of talent this season. Even though this year’s varsity squads did not advance to state, both teams have great potential for next year. A huge congratulations goes to the basketball teams for their hard work.