• Financial Aid Informational Night for seniors and parents will be in the high school library on September 27th at 6 pm.

• Senior night for the football players is this Friday at 5pm. Come out and support your Seahawks!

• Wrestling practice starts in less than two weeks! Sign up in the office if you're interested.

• Eligibility check is on September 25th.

• Picture day is September 25th, so bring a picture packet and a smile!

SHS Students Enjoy KPC Classes

Lindy Guernsey, Staff Editor

SHS students enjoy the Kenai Peninsula College classes, according to recent interviews, and they suggest others take them, as well.

The Philosophy class was highly recommended by Shelby Schoening to everyone, and she went on to say that “it was fun to think outside of the box.” According to Schoening, the major difference for her was “it was at night and [she] had to independently show up.” Her favorite part of the Philosophy class was learning new concepts.

Roma Hamner noted that in the classes he took he had “great teachers.” He recalled Introduction to College Algebra to be more step-by-step and slower paced than some high school maths that he has taken; however, it was more in depth.  He commented that “there was homework about every night, and there was a little quiz at the end of the week.” Hamner mentioned that for the Philosophy and Introduction to Literature classes he had to read stories outside of class and occasionally write papers. Overall, Hamner “would recommend taking college classes because it is cheaper, about like $300 cheaper, depending on which class you take,” and “it’s good experience to take the classes.”

Ayla Lapinskis took the Intro to College Algebra class offered on Monday evenings and found it “similar to all of the algebra classes that are offered” at Seward High School.  Stephanie Cronin teaches the math class, and Lapinskis noted that she was helpful if students were struggling with skills. Lapinskis also took the Emergency Trauma Technician (ETT) “class [that] was stationed out of Soldotna, and it was fun.”  She noted that “The first Saturday of every month we’d all carpool, the four of us from Seward, and we’d have all day training up in Soldotna at the KPC campus. It was fun to come together with a whole bunch of my friends and a whole bunch of other people from Ninilchik and Soldotna”  for the class. She finds the KPC classes worthwhile, and plans on taking Philosophy with Buddy North the next time it is offered.  

Students  interested in taking a KPC college class can read more information in this article https://shstoday.org/928/student-life/college-classes-available-at-shs/and visit Jackie Marshall in the KPC office near the main office in Seward High School. Get a head start on fall classes by signing up for the jumpstart program now.