SHS Today

• Register for KPC spring classes now! See Jackie Marshall for details.

• 2nd semester classes on PowerSchool. See Martha for any changes.

• End of the semester is December 20th. Make sure you're up to date on your classes!

• The High School greenhouse is selling houseplants, herbs and potted vegetables. Call, email or stop by room 105.

• Yearbooks are on sale! $50 w/out customization. $55 w/ customization.

• FFA chapter starting in Seward. Talk to Tate Barhaug or sign up in the office.

• Interested in a mentorship? See Mrs. Ransom in the library office!

Finger-lickin’ Good

Back to Article
Back to Article

Finger-lickin’ Good

Katelyn Correa, Staff Writer

Finger-lickin’ good is not only used to describe Kentucky Fried Chicken, but also the dishes created at Seward High School. Culinary Arts is a great way for students to unlock their kitchen potential and prepare for life on their own. Whether they are aiming towards a career in cooking or simply interested in learning to prepare their own meals, students have the opportunity to bring home wonderful, worthwhile new skills and recipes, as well as learn proper safety and the basics.

The class runs by moving through units. The first is learning the basics of eggs, a common kitchen staple. Students prepare them scrambled, fried, poached and boiled. Other units include dessert, potatoes, pork, chicken and much more. Sophomore Madilyn Moore says her favorite section is the breakfast foods, by far. That includes eggs, pancakes, french toast and potatoes. Also, students are expected to writedown each recipe in their personal, handwritten cookbook, which they will turn in for a grade and take home to remake their favorite dishes.

One purpose of the class is it serves as a wonderful outlet for those who love to be in the kitchen. Rose Terry is a senior and a cooking class alumnus. She considers cooking a strong hobby and plans on attending Culinary Arts school after graduation. Even during semesters when she is not in the class, Terry often visits to provide tips and grab some food. Some may not understand why people have a fondness for cooking, but Terry clearly explained where her enjoyment springs from. She says, “…it makes me focus and get in a zone where I am not paying attention to what’s around me.” She also states it is like art — “so free and relaxing.”

Others are learning to cook simply because they believe it is crucial to succeeding in an independent lifestyle. Senior Megan Koster joined because she likes food and, so she says, isn’t the best cook. Cooking is important to Koster because “parents won’t always be around to cook for you and you can’t eat Ramen every day of your life.” Madilyn Moore had a similar opinion, which is shown by the statement, “it is how humans stay alive and is very convenient if you want to be independent.” The class provides experience with a very necessary life skill.

Culinary Arts is a popular class not only for the educational aspect, but likely because of the occasional days where people get excused from class to attend special events such as Thanksgiving. On November 25th, teams of students take part in placing a piece on the feast puzzle. A full-sized turkey, macaroni and potato salad, cranberry sauce, corn bread and more fill the table. This teaches pupils the important skill of presenting a meal. Overall, the art of food is something that everyone should attempt to participate in. It is essential for survival and might even become someone’s favorite hobby or propel them into a career.

Class instructor and fellow lover of food, Ronn Hemstock, has been teaching the class for twelve years. He often incorporates his own recipes into the curriculum. Hemstock is driven to teach because students are usually motivated to do well, he says. Of course, the enjoyment of eating what the class makes is another major factor. Hemstock may not have specific culinary education, but he does have many years of experience and countless numbers of delicious recipes to pass on. He believes that cooking is an important, necessary activity because, “learning to cook will make it easier in life to eat healthy and better food. Translating this into a better existence.” Everyone has something to learn from Hemstock.

Overall, Culinary Arts is an important subject to teach in schools because it encourages students’ passion for cooking and educates them about a crucial life skill. Seward High School’s program is no exception. The combination of motivated students and a wonderful instructor creates a dish that keeps every consumer satisfied.