Volleyball: Set for Victory

Jodi Kurtz

Both JV and Varsity at Valdez

Daisy Terry, Writer

Bumping into the beginning of the season, volleyball set their eyes towards victory!

This season has had a large turnout (29 girls), enough to have three teams. Even though many girls are playing, Kyrsten Johnson-Gray (JV captain) said, “Compared to last year and the year before, it feels as if the teams are closer as a family.”

In the eyes of a freshman Rowan Bean, “I definitely got closer to a lot of the girls (on C team).”

The closeness of the girls shows in how they did at this past Valdez tournament, JV received first in the gold bracket and varsity placed third. As well, varsity obtained second in the North/South Tournament in September.       

Coach Jodi Kurtz says, “These girls played with great sport and enthusiasm.” This is the best she has ever seen them play. “They all played well,” which she admits, “was exciting to watch.” At the beginning of this season, Kurtz thought, “It will be a tough season, but all teams have improved from last year.” She adds “that all teams will do well and are working hard to go to state.”

The last home games are October 12th against ACS, which is also senior night, 13th vs. Grace, and 18th vs. Homer, the dig pink game. In support of breast cancer awareness people are encouraged to wear pink to this game. Make sure to come and support your volleyball team, and see them in action.