Senator Visits Seward High

Meghan Mullaly, Staff Writer

On Monday, October 29th, Senator Lisa Murkowski visited the halls of Seward High School. The senator chatted with teachers, staff, and students and took the time to answer each of their questions thoughtfully.

Courtesy of Lisa Murkowski Facebook

The group of boys from the podcast Boy Conversations asked her a number of oddball questions, such as what she was going to be for Halloween and if she prefers baked or fried chicken. She not only answered every one of their questions but told her own personal stories and details with glee.

Courtesy of Lisa Murkowski Facebook

She also spoke to one of Mr. Hinders’ history classes. Days in advance, Hinders had asked his classes to brainstorm topics for the senator, so he could create a list of strong questions students could ask her when she arrived. According to one student, Murkowski shared several personal anecdotes. One was about her family learning to open packages and letters safely, due to recent threats of mail bombs. The class also spent time reviewing other current news events.

Courtesy of Lisa Murkowski Facebook

Murkowski’s personal tour guide was Mr. Walker. He led her around the school and told her about all of the things we do here at Seward High School, like the improvement in graduation rates since the school adopted its adaptive school program. This allows students to gain credits in the classroom, in the work field, or online. In addition, he introduced students to her allowing them to say hello and shake her hand. Some of them she even recognized from when she visited the middle school years ago.