The Student News Site of Seward High School

SHS Today

• Last day of school is May 17th!
  • Track Borough's @SoHi 5/10
  • Track heads to Palmer 5/3
  • May 8th Senior Night
  • Senior Exams May 7-9
  • Graduation Parade May 10 5pm
  • Graduation May 15 @ 7 pm
  • Watch the newest episode of Super Sick Seahawk News!

SHS Today

SHS Today

Lawnmower Woes

Lawnmower+Woes

Lawnmower Woes

Are lawnmowers the bane of your existence? Well, hopefully, that will not be the case for long. Lawns are a prevalent element of many American homes, and lawns inherently need to be mowed.

Lawn-mowers were invented in the 1830s, but did not gain mainstream popularity until after WWII. Economic prosperity enabled the endeavor, and they soon became incredibly popular.

Many styles of lawnmowers are on the market. That includes zero-turn, lawn-tractor, push mower, self-propelled, and electric push-mowers. 

Zero-turns are typically used on lawns that have many obstacles or large acreage. They generally boast a large cutting swath, which in turn makes light work of large lawns. The name “zero-turn” corresponds to the ability of the mower to turn on a dime, due to rear wheels that can spin in opposite directions and the front wheels can turn 360 degrees.

Lawn-tractors are a traditional riding mower, which can cut vast acreage with ease because of the deck size typically being at least three feet wide. They are not as maneuverable because they are equipped with a traditional steering design.

Push-mowers are a cost-effective way to cut smaller lawns, however, it is a more effort-intensive grass-cutting style. Self-propelled lawnmowers are a step up in amenities, with the wheels being driven to reduce fatigue of the person cutting grass. 

Electric lawnmowers have hit the market recently and are geared toward the less industrious homeowners whom are reticent of loud noises and fumes. They are not yet at the level of gas mowers; if you have a serious lawn to take care of where the grass is tall, thick, or large acreage. The drawback of electric mowers is reliability, power, battery life, and charging time. 

I immensely enjoy cutting grass because nothing is more satisfying than making stripes on a shaggy lawn. I prefer to be on the riding mower for large acreage and if on a smaller lawn, I am drawn towards the gas push-mower, self-propelled or not. Cutting grass can be a source of exercise and relaxation for me. 

Pro tip, acquire 3M Worktunes to protect your hearing and listen to your favorite tunes while cutting grass.

Image Credit: https://www.kubotausa.com/media-center/blog/kubota/2023/04/06/zero-turn-vs.-lawn-tractor-what-type-of-mower-is-best-for-you