A Plan For The Future

2016 Annual Anchorage College Fair

Creeanna Whitcome, Staff Editor

On Monday, October 17th, Seward High’s college curious students took a trip to the University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) for the annual college fair. The day was chaperoned by Martha Fleming, who helped navigate the students through the large room of college prospects. Many walked away with a new outlook on their college career, such as Kendyl Morris who “…changed [her] choice of college” entirely. Prior to the college fair, Kendyl planned to attend the UAA campus after graduating. However, after talking to the representative of Southeast campus, she discovered what they have to offer is a better fit for her future plans.

The fair exhibited colleges from New York to California with a large array of  technical schools as well as universities; there was something that catered to every student’s wants and needs. For those who want to stay close to home, the UAA tour was extremely beneficial. As Martha Fleming stated, “It was a good opportunity to see the UAA campus and get a feel for the atmosphere.” As for the students who seek a secondary education further from home, the fair provided many options, each with individual characteristics; while some colleges focused on liberal arts, others were gaged solely toward pre-med. For any one relatively interested in a career, the college fair sparked students’ interests and provided information to help them make choices about their future.

The key to success, however, is not college. It is the act of planning for the future. Whether you choose to go to college, a technical school, or to simply travel, a plan will get you where you want to go. Although you may already have this plan, exploring the options available can only strengthen it. Next time you hear about a college fair, don’t hesitate to attend. You never know what different communities have to offer.