The Student News Site of Seward High School

SHS Today

• Last day of school is May 17th!
  • Track Borough's @SoHi 5/10
  • Track heads to Palmer 5/3
  • May 8th Senior Night
  • Senior Exams May 7-9
  • Graduation Parade May 10 5pm
  • Graduation May 15 @ 7 pm
  • Watch the newest episode of Super Sick Seahawk News!

SHS Today

SHS Today

NOAA Field Trip

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s (NOAA) Okeanos Explorer, one of the only federally designated ships used for oceanic exploration, recently docked in Seward, Alaska, where 120 students from the high and middle schools had the opportunity to learn and explore the vessel on September 18th. While the boat was one of the main activities, students also helped paint tiles for a new mural and took a look at the Seward Hatchery, where shellfish and algal organisms are examined and raised.

After lunch and a bit more information about local partners, such as UAF, Alutiq Pride Marine Institute, and many others helping in the NOAA Okeanos field trip, students then transitioned into learning and exploring the research vessel. While on board, students toured different parts of the ship. Towards the back, crew members overseeing the remotely operating vehicle, or ROV, showed students the ins and outs of managing and operating these machines. Crew members explained how a very large portion of the ocean has yet to be explored, and using instruments like ROVs gives scientists and everyone more insight into what really exists in our oceans beyond what we already know.

Seward middle and high schoolers then made their way further up the vessel, where they gained some insight on what it’s like to live aboard a research boat for days on end. The Okeanos Explorer has traversed all over the world, in mostly every major ocean. The research vessel is on its way in its Seascape expedition, mapping parts of Alaska’s ocean floor before heading to San Francisco and then Hawaii. Crew members on the ship explained to students how life at sea can be challenging but also has its perks, like being able to connect with a wide array of people from different backgrounds and collectively being able to be a part of discovering something new with each expedition.

Students then took a look inside the living quarters of the ship, as well as the captain’s cabin and the control room of the ROV. By the end of the field trip, students learned how many different roles there are aboard the Okeanos, such as engineers, biologists, navigational technicians, and many more. After a full day of discovering, learning, and getting to see firsthand what it’s like to participate in a project like the Okeanos Explorer, many students now take away new knowledge and insight on something they might like to be a part of in the future.

*Special thanks to Seward High’s Amelia Bagheri for organizing this amazing event and making it available to students!