• Please wear pink to school on Friday, October 13th for breast cancer awareness and go to the Dig Pink Volleyball Tournament!

• For those interested in attending the College and Career Fair in Soldotna on Tuesday, October 17th, go see Martha to sign up.

• November 1st -- Picture retakes!

Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Kendyl Morris, Staff Editor

With our fall sports coming to a close, wrestling season has just started to roll in. So far, they have traveled to Barrow (now named Utqiaġvik), Glennallen, and Valdez as an awesome start to the season. The Frostbite Tournament in Barrow combined wrestling with a cultural experience. The team toured this village to see all the unique characteristics; they even took a dip into the Arctic Ocean.  

Wrestling is one of my favorite sports, and I particularly enjoy spending time with such a great group of people. As the wrestling manager, I get the privilege to travel with the team. Throwdown in Snowtown in Valdez is a personal favorite tournament for me. A variety of teams come together for exciting wrestling matches. The tournament was on October 21st and 22nd, near Halloween time. Valdez Parks and Recreation take advantage of this opportunity by opening a haunted house during the same weekend. Many teams and a few coaches participate in this event. The cost to get in is by donation, which is suggested to be three dollars. However, money means nothing to the amount of fun it is to watch the wrestlers race each other through the haunted house. If you’re like me who is not fond of being scared, there’s also a Teen and Youth Center in Valdez, very similar to the one located here. These are just examples of the exciting additions to being a part of the wrestling team, aside from the sport itself.

Ronn Hemstock has been the coach of the wrestling team for many years. He states his favorite part about wrestling is “working with the kids.” In fact, he is most excited about the regional meet. This meet determines the wrestlers’ chances at state, so everybody hits the mat, showcasing their perfected favorite moves. Hemstock claims this meet shows the growth within each wrestler, and seeing how much the team has improved is one of the best parts about regions.

Wrestling is an independent sport when it comes down to records and placement within tournaments. However, anyone who has been on the Seahawk wrestling team can agree we are a family — and Coach Hemstock is never shy to remind us. Each member is there to help anyone who needs it, whether it involves eligibility or performance on the mat. Best of all, anyone can become a member of this family. The coaching staff encourages anyone who is interested to join the team at any time, even now. Just get on the mat, and the coaches will be happy to teach you some takedown techniques.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody”

1. Linnea Hribernick on October 26th, 2016 12:30 pm

This article is interesting. I think that it’s fun to watch and how hard the boys and girls try. They really give it their all. Wrestling is cool but I don’t think I’d ever join.

[Reply]

2. Nathaniel Basalo on October 26th, 2016 12:39 pm

Seward High School site is good so that people can know whats happening in Seward high school like what sports are happening, etc.. I like the wrestling match article because they had fun. They got to hang out and dance with the native Alaskan people in Barrow.

[Reply]

3. John Moriarty on November 7th, 2016 8:22 am

It is really cool that the wrestlers get to travel all across the state.

[Reply]

4. Dax Robinson on November 7th, 2016 8:29 am

This is a great article.

[Reply]

5. Mycah on November 7th, 2016 8:32 am

I found this article interesting, because it tells about the boys and girls in wrestling and how hard they try. It seems that everyone in each match is having fun and trying their hardest at what they do.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Football

Players Reflect on Football Season

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Sports

Swimming: A Decade of It

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Cross Country

Cross Country: Running as a Team to Victory

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Sports

Volleyball: Setting Into the Season

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Soccer

Memorable Seahawk Soccer Season

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Track & Field

Kratz Runs Record-Breaking Races

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Track & Field

Petrosius Breaks SHS High Jump Record

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Track & Field

Track Gains Speed at Home Meet

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Cheerleading

Go, Fight, and Win at State

• Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody

Basketball

Basketball Season Final Report

Wrestling: A Sport for Anybody