College Classes Available at SHS

Lindy Guernsey

Kenai Peninsula College classes are available at Seward High School. Spring registration opens on November 28th, 2016. Jackie Marshall, KPC’s/Resurrection Bay Extension Site Coordinator, advises potential students to “plan ahead.”

In order to be eligible to take a KPC college class, students must have sufficient scores in the SAT, ACT, or Accuplacer.

The JumpStart program discounts tuition for high school juniors and seniors. Tuition for up to six credits per semester is subsidized by the Kenai Peninsula Borough. Students only pay $64 per credit for up to six credits per semester. Therefore, a three credit class will cost $192, excluding books and fees. Without the JumpStart tuition discount, a three credit course would be $576. There are additional fees that range from $8-$16 per credit. Required books for each course can be obtained in multiple ways, such as ordering online, buying from a former student, renting from online sources, and purchasing directly from RBES.

Payment is not required at the time of registration, but must be paid by February 6, 2017 to avoid a $125 late fee. Students need to be aware, of the January 27 deadline for 100% refund should they need to drop a course.

The following three credit courses will be available for the spring semester: Introduction to Literature, Introduction to College Writing, Introduction to American Government, Introduction to Philosophy, and General Psychology. SHS students should consider enrolling in one or more of these courses because, not only is it a huge cost savings, but they can also earn one-half of a high school credit for a college three credit class. Jackie Marshall advises students to verify high school credit with Martha Fleming.

Introduction to Literature (ENGL A121) is a reading and discussion based class instructed by Dan Marshall. Introducing analysis and appreciation of fiction, drama, and poetry are the objectives of the class, which will take place every Tuesday, 6:00 to 8:45 PM.

Introduction to College Writing  will be taught by Sean Ulman at Seward High School on  Mondays and Wednesdays from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM (during 3rd period). The class familiarizes students with writing several multiple paragraph essays. Students taking the course should expect to practice sentence combining, punctuation, revising, and editing skills. Critical reading is also a part of the course to strengthen the writing skills of the students.

Introduction to American Government will require high speed internet; for it is a web based class instructed by Robert Thomas. The goal is to establish basic understanding of the historical and constitutional foundations of the American Government. The class also introduces the political activities of parties, groups, and the media; public decision-making by the executive, Congress, and the courts; and current economic, environmental, social, and foreign issues and policies.

Introduction to Philosophy is instructed by Buddy North in an online format consequently, high speed internet access is required. This course aims to familiarize students with the works of both modern and ancient influential thinkers, spotlighting on the western philosophical tradition, while emphasizing central topics of knowledge, reality, and good and evil.

General Psychology will be taught by Lara Loomis. The core topics of the class consist of psychological research methods, biopsychology, learning, cognition, lifespan development, personality, psychological disorders, and social psychology. This class is offered 11:00 to 12:30 PM on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

All of the non-web based classes take place at Seward High School. The semester begins January 17, 2017.

Take into consideration that unlike high school teachers, the instructors of the college courses are not required to make accommodations for sports absences.  If you are thinking of taking a college class, take Jackie Marshall’s advice “don’t wait till the last minute.” She invites you to her office (located next to the attendance and secretary office) to discuss planning for the upcoming semester. Remember that registration for the spring semester opens on November 28th.