The Student News Site of Seward High School

SHS Today

• Track heads to Homer 4/12
  • Prom is April 26th! Be there!
  • Watch the first show of Alice in Wonderland April 5th @6:00 p.m!
  • Early Release 4/12
  • Watch the newest episode of Super Sick Seahawk News!

SHS Today

SHS Today

White Tail Deer Hunting Can Be Challenging

People may think whitetail deer hunting is easy. Well, that’s not the case. Fun fact: did you know whitetails are among the most intelligent animals? Deer have perfect eyesight and hearing. 

One of the first things you must know about before hunting is seeing where the wind blows. This is important because if you have a tailwind, the deer will smell you and not return. The most ideal wind is a headwind. It also can help with noise because it’s harder for them to hear you. 

Another thing to consider before heading out into the woods is what you wear. You want something that doesn’t swoosh and makes no noise when walking around. This can include a noisy rain jacket, puffy coat, and winter jacket. Studies show you have a 15% chance of seeing a deer with loud clothing. They can hear the slightest little thing, so you must be quiet like a mouse.  

When deer hunting, you want to find a spot that is easy to see and comfortable to sit on, like a tree stump. If you walk around too much, the deer will run off, which is not what you want. I always scope out a spot before the hunt to go right to it without messing around trying to find a good place. That was one of the things I messed up with when hunting. I tried to find better spots, but it didn’t help because the deer would get spooked. For instance, I thought I saw a better seat, so I made a move. About 100 yards from where I was sitting, I scared off two does. 

Deer hunting is hard but worth it, especially with buck fever. I got buck fever, and it’s the best feeling. Once you learn how deer work, you will have success with them.